This is the first of my ICC reflections which are due week 12. The second one, in which I try to teach about the intercultural usages of gesture, can be found here: http://tomsteaching.blogspot.kr/2012/11/week-11-icc-reflective-video-2.html.
Note: This post reflects on the CCDA parts of this lesson, which run from 9"32 to 28"57.
I understand what we’re supposed to be doing with Cross
Cultural Discourse Analysis. It makes sense, and I can see the value in doing
it. But actually trying to make it work in my classroom is a real struggle.
Here’s the first attempt I made a couple of weeks ago.
Actually, this isn’t my first attempt at culture in the
classroom. In the past I’ve done sections on holidays and customs, and occasionally
even taught about table manners. However these were always me showing my
students what other cultures are like. It was very much a presentation, with
perhaps a couple of students trying things out. I never helped them engage with
or think about the material, and I doubt they developed intercultural competence from what I taught.
My aim in this lesson, however, was to let the students work
out more about other cultures for themselves with my lead. Let’s talk about how
that went (I’ll give you a hint: not well!).
After a look at me showing the students the first video (about
Paris Baguette) it was very clear that I was still dragging my students through
the material and pointing out interesting things on the way. I asked them
rather meaningless questions (Who is in the video? What are they doing?) and
proceeded to tell them what this means for each culture. All my questions were
very leading, and if the students didn’t give me the answer I was looking for I
guided them to it.
The work we did around the second video was a bit better.
Because the content was more unfamiliar to the students and the video was more interesting
they seemed more engaged. They were genuinely trying to work out what the
people in the video were doing. We managed to sort this out and identify who
Christmas in the UK seems to be for, and the activity that followed afterwards
was good for demonstrating this point. However I seem to have dropped the
cultural significance of the video when I began the activity, and simply refocused
on only the English. I think this was partly due to a lack of time, and partly
because I felt I had pushed the cultural discourse as far as it could go with
these students. They were losing focus again!
I can’t work out a way around this. For a start it is
evident from the recording that I struggle to keep the class focused; I can get
them to pay attention, but when I start asking questions and try to create a
dialogue with them a dozen different conversations burst out (many in Korean,
too). On top of this many of the students seem to understand my questions, but
most of them aren’t really capable or motivated enough to answer them. Or
perhaps they can answer, but their answers aren’t as meaningful as they would
be in Korean. They say what they know rather than what they need to say to
express a real opinion or observation. How can I develop a meaningful discussion
of cultural differences in a large class who don’t have the language skill or
focus to express anything helpful to the subject?
Perhaps I just chose the wrong type of activity. They’re
just not ready for a discussion! But then what else do I do to encourage CCDA?
My next idea for a lesson is to do an activity from this week’s reading –
Activity H (cross cultural trivia) - but rather than reading them out like a
quiz I would demonstrate each one and ask groups of students to assign a
meaning to each one. I could then help them to see how different cultures have
different forms of non–verbal communication. Might this work better? I’m hoping
so, because I don’t want to try to work my way through another class like this
one!
I can't offer any considered thoughts on doing a CCDA with the type of classes you have, as I have no experience with them . . . you've definitely got your work cut out for you! In terms of questions, though, I really think you do a good job of keeping things communicative and comprehensible. I also think your instructions were clear and you gave them some specific things to listen for in both videos, as we've learned to do. Bravo!
ReplyDeleteI also totally identify with what you describe as "dragging students through the video and pointing out interesting things along the way." If it's any consolation, I was only satisfied with the self-initiated comments from a higher-proficiency group of university kids after two solid weeks of culture-based classes! I think you're doing well with the class you have!
One small thing that worked for me with large classes (up to 60) of younger learners was moving around the classroom a lot and trying to be "predictably unpredictable" with the selection of students to whom I'd pose questions. It made boardwork harder and sometimes involved sprinting to and fro, but it helped me and may help you cut down on the extraneous, Korean-language conversations that are likely to erupt.